Karen Cahn: Digital Video Pioneer Creating Platforms for Women’s Conversations and Economic Growth
Founder & CEO, VProud
Bio: Founder/CEO, VCommunity/VProud.tv. Previously GM, Aol On Originals; Head of Sales, YouTube Partners & Branded Entertainment; Head of Sales, CPG, Google
Innovating in Field of Work:
- Founded VProud, a mobile-first, safe video platform for women to talk openly about sensitive topics that are important to them, giving users a choice to engage both publically and privately. Cahn often refers to VProud as “YouTube for women without the Trolls.”
- Online Harassment and Trolling: VProud.tv was created as a reaction to both research and personal experience with negativity and harassment of female creators, writers, and activists on social media.
- With the success of VProud.tv, white labeled the platform and launched VCommunity, a video blogging platform and CMS for brands, so other websites could host safe video communities of their own.
- VProud responsible for hundreds of original videos, and millions of views, all produced by women and promoting the Female Creative Economy.
- Awarded 2016 Women’s History Month Google Grant for original video series You’re Not Crazy —focused on mental health—received over 1.3M views
- High quality information sharing, fellowship and exchange of ideas – freedom to be honest and engage openly due to privacy and filtering features
- Emmy and Webby-nominations
- Invest in high-growth women-led companies through involvement in Springboard Media Council
- Board of Advisors, Girl Rising (girls education in developing countries)
- Full-fledged supporter of female creative economy, pays her employees fairly, promotes salary transparency
- Teaches and mentors employees, encouraging flexibility to pursue passions
Reinvention / Risk / Momentum:
- Applying foundational knowledge and digital video expertise on a smaller and more focused level, to help specific communities to have more open and honest conversations through VCommunity, a video blogging platform.
- Continually expanding and adapting expertise in rapidly changing tech sector.